GoLOCAL is a partner of the International NGO “Primavera” in the project “Development of capacities of communities to participate in the implementation and monitoring of the reform process in agriculture, land management and rural development “BELIEVE”. The Project is implemented within the framework of Matra, which was established by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands Embassy Netherlands to Ukraine and the Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine and the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine.
The project launch was preceded by a desire to encourage the government by increasing the capacity of communities to create local business development plans for rural areas. This is an important component to motivation, interest and strengthening of rural communities. Also, it was needed to develop capabilities to monitor multiple areas of reforms, development of appropriate legislation and government programs (which are necessary for the implementation of business plans).
Project Believe was established to ensure community capacity building and promotion of Good Governance in the implementation of the ” Single and Comprehensive Strategy for Agriculture and Rural Development in Ukraine for 2015-2020″ and the priority components of the Strategy “3+5”.
The project was coordinated with the activities of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine, as determined in the Memorandum of Understanding and the Cooperation Program of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine with the Ministry of Economic Affairs of the Netherlands.
As part of the project’s implementation the embodiment of “Bottom – up” and “Top-down” approaches to joint efforts of all stakeholders at the local level and activities of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine reform program for the implementation of the Strategy “3 + 5” was demonstrated on the real life examples.
Six public platforms open for all interested bodies were established at the districts (raion) of 5 regions (oblast) of Ukraine based on the experience of EU LEADER program: Lviv region (Zhovkivska district); Volyn region (Gorokhovskiy district); Kiev region (Fastiv and Bila Tserkva districts); Potava region (Lokhvitskiy district); Kherson region (Belozerskiy district).
Through meetings, seminars and round tables were developed 12 business plans for the following priority areas:
- Support for SMEs;
- Strengthening of agricultural cooperatives and food chains;
- Development of agri-clusters of diversification, green tourism and bioenergy;
- Restoration of irrigation systems and land reform.
- In the Bila Tserkva region was created a Public platform;
- Bila Tserkva Public platform joined 5 other platforms at the national level to create a network for extensive exchange of experience and influence at the governmental level, developing joint initiatives for new projects at regional, national and international levels, which is open for all other local initiatives;
- 4 Projects of Rural Development were created in Bila Tserkva region;
- The developed Projects were submitted to donors;
- A study visit to the Netherlands was held;
- Dialogue was initiated with the Ministry of Agricultural Policy and Food of Ukraine and representatives of the Verkhovna Rada for presentation of the recommendations and observations of the public platforms and to monitor reforms in the Strategy “3 + 5”.