36 preschool institutions in Bila Tserkva are managed by the City Department of Education. Most of the buildings built in 1970-1980 and their level of energy efficiency is very low.
In addition, the state of the buildings and its insulation have a negative impact not only on the budget spending but also on the quality of the staff and children’s health. The practice of similar projects in Ukraine showed that the following results of energy savings could be achieved:
Thermo-modernization of Kindergarten №424 (Kyiv, Boulevard Druzhby Narodiv 32) was held during the summer of 2016. As a result, the heat consumption within three months of the heating season (January-March 2015 to the corresponding period of 2016) reduced by 18.7% (from 152 to Gcal 124 Gcal) and consumption of electricity reduced by 37.5% (from 13.485 kW / h to 8.426 kW / h). The total sum of savings is equivalent to 47 056 hryvnias (though the temperature outside a designated period in 2016 was lower by 1.5 degrees, and the average temperature inside the building – higher by 3.6 degrees).
The project will carry out the following work:
- insulation of basement, walls and roof;
- replacement of simple windows for energy efficient, replacement of entrance groups and/or installation of automatic closing doors;
- installation or replacement of heat, electricity and water meters;
- installation or replacement of individual heating units;
- modernization of engineering systems of buildings (heating, ventilation, hot water and air conditioning);
- balancing the heating systems to ensure optimum distribution of coolant and reduce costs abnormal heat;
- installation of temperature control by the weather conditions;
- reconstruction of lighting systems using LED lights and motion sensors.
The project will provide within 3 years saving of at least 40% of energy. It will also improve the conditions of children staying in schools.
Preliminary evaluation of the project showed that it is self-sustaining (the billing period debt by saving on energy payment – 19 years).
Terms of loan:
- The maturity of the loan – up to 22 years;
- Grace Period – 5 years;
- Maturities of the principal amount of the loan – 10 years;
- Interest rate – 1.31% per annum;
- The City provides financial guarantees to the Bank;
- Repayment – equal semi-annual instalments;
- Tender procedure will be held by the EIB (international standard).
Experts of the NGO GoLOCAL provided consulting and communication support to the members of the City Council in the preparation of project documentation and negotiations with the IFIs on the possibility of getting a loan.